Since venison is leaner than other red meat, we've mixed in some ground pork for extra richness. Serve as main course or in small slices, chilled, as an appetizer.
Makes 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1½ pounds ground venison
- ¾ pound ground pork
- ½ cup soft fresh bread crumbs
- One-third cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon rubbed sage
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- One-third cup plum jam, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 egg
- Prehat oven to 350F ; lightly oil 9x5x3-inch loaf pan, set aside.
- Heat oil in large skillet over low heat ; add onion and cook until softened, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer to large bowl, cool to room temperature ; add venison, pork, bread crumbs, milk, salt, sage, allspice, pepper, jam, bourbon and egg, and mix well to combine.
- Transfer mixture to prepared loaf pan ; pack down and smooth top with rubber spatula, cover with aluminium foil.
- Bake in preheated oven (350F) for 1 hour or until firm and cooked through ; cool 10 minutes in pan and carefully drain.
- Invert loaf onto serving platter ; serve hot, at room temperature, or chilled.