Makes 6 servings
- 12 ounces lean ground chuck
- 4 ounces ground pork or sausage
- 1 cup fresh soft bread crumbs
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon leaf oregano, crumbled
- ½ teaspoon leaf basil, crumbled
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ¾ cup lowfat cottage cheese
- ½ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella (2 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 350F ; grease 8½x3½x2½-inch loaf pan.
- Combine chuck, pork, bread crumbs, half the tomato sauce, 1 egg, oregano, basil and garlic in large bowl ; mix well and pack in prepared pan.
- Combine cottage cheese, ¼ cup mozzarella and remaining egg in small bowl ; spread over meat and top with the remaining tomato sauce and mozzarella.
- Bake for 1 hour ; serve loaf directly from pan.