Makes 9 squares
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- Gently blend all ingrdients except walnuts in ixing bowl with fork or rubber spatula.
- Spread into greased 9-inch square pan ; sprinkle with walnuts.
- Bake 25 minutes, until toothpick insert in center comes out clean.
- Serve warm.