- 8cups unsalted chicken stock
- 6 roasted garlic cloves, minced (see below)
- ½ cup chopped seeded red-ripe tomatoes or canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, half chopped and half sliced into thin rings
- 1 fresh jalapeno, sliced into thin rings
- 1 chipotle chile (whole if dried, or minced if canned)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken or turkey
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt to taste
- 4 corn tortillas, sliced into thin strips and toasted or broiled until crisp
- Chopped cilantro, cubed avocado, and crumbled mexican asadero cheese or grated Monterey jack cheese, for garnish
- In a large, heavy saucepan, bring the stock to a boil ; reduce the heat, and simmered uncovered until the stock is reduced to approximately 6 cups.
- Add the garlic, the tomatoes, the chopped half of the onion, the jalapeno, the chipotle, and the oregano to the stock ; continue to simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat for another 30 minutes.
- While the soup cooks, place the remaining onions (sliced) on a grease baking sheet, and broil them until they are softened and a little brown around the edges.
- Add the broiled onions, the chicken, and the lime juice to the soup, and continue simmering until the chicken is just heated through.
- If you have used a dried chipotle, remove the chile and either mince it and return it to the pan or discard it, depending on how spicy you want the meal.
- To serve, place a small handfull of tortilla strips in each bowl and pour the soup over ; pass the garnishes separately.