- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- Two-third cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1½ teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup almonds, ground coarse
- ½ cup butter melted and cooled slightly
- Butter madeleine molds.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs with the sugar until thick and pale and forms a ribbon.
- Beat in the almond extract and zest.
- Stir in the flour in 4 batches, folding in gently after each addition.
- Add the almonds and the butter, folding in gently and thoroughly.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared molds.
- Bake in the lower-third of a preheated 375F oven for 10 minutes.
- Turn out on racks and cool.