Makes 3 dozen
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup butter or margarine
- 1½ cups (8-ounces package) chopped pitted dates
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon brandy (optional)
- For the date jam, combine all the ingrédients of the date jam in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil ; simmer 5 minutes until mixture resembles a thick paste ; cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, nuts and salt ; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Reserve 2 cups for topping and press remainder into bottom of greased 9 x 13-inch pan ; spread with cooled date jam and sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake 25 to 35 minutes until golden.
- Cool completely, then cut into bars.