Makes 4 servings
- 450 gr (1 pound) cleaned monkfish fillets
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- Two-third cup plain dry bread crumbs
- 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oïl
- Lemon wedges
- Slice monkfish ½ inch thick ; place fish on sheet of waxed paper or plastic wrap ; cover with another sheet of same.
- Pound fish with flat edge of meat pounder or skillet bottom to ¼-inch thickness.
- Whisk together the egg white and water in a shallow dish or pie plate.
- Dip fish pièces into egg white mixture, then into bread crumbs ; place on sheet of waxed paper ; refrigerate 1 hour.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oïl in large skillet over high heat ; add fillets to skillet in single layer without crowding skillet ; reserve any remaining fillets.
- Cook 3 minutes ; lower heat to medium ; turn fish over and cook 3 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Repeat with any remaining fillets, adding more oil to prevent sticking, if necessary.
- Divide into 4 servings ; serve with lemon wedges.
Monkfish can be cooked by any method, but because it rapidly loses moisture, it is most often braised or stewed.