Makes 2½ to 3 dozen
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- ¾ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8-ounce bar semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C).
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy ; beat in vanilla.
- Blend in egg and cocoa, then flour, soda and salt, beating at low speed until mixture forms a stiff dough ; stir in chocolate chunks.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 8 to 12 minutes until set ; cool 2 minutes, then transfer to racks with spatula.