Makes 7 to 8 pints
- 6 pounds pickling cucumbers
- 4 large onions
- ½ cup salt
- 4 cups vinegar
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon mixed pickling spices
- Slice cucumbers and onions and alternately layer in a strainer covering each layer with salt.
- Cover with ice and let drain 3 hours, add ice as needed.
- Drain and rinse thoroughly.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, and spices and bring to a boil and boil 10 minutes.
- Add cucumbers and onions and bring to a boil again.
- Fill hot jars with cucumbers and onions, add hot liquid to within ½ inch of the tops of the jars.
- Release air bubbles, clean the rims of the jars, and seal.
- Process in a water bath canner for 10 minutes.