- 1 pint shucked oysters with their liquor
- 1 egg
- 2 cups medium-grind cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Cayenne to taste
- Canola or peanut oil for deep frying
- Seafood cocktail sauce (click here for recipe)
- Lime or lemon wedges, for garnish
- Remove the oysters from their liquor, and drain them.
- Measure 2 tablespoons of the briny juice into a swallow dish, add the egg, and beat well.
- In a small paper sack, combine the cornmeal, salt and Cayenne.
- Drop the oysters into the sack, a few at a time, and shake the sack to coat them with the cornmeal.
- Dip each Oyster in the egg mixture, and then coat the oysters again in cornmeal.
- Heat the oil to 350F (175C) and deep-fry the oysters, in batches, for 2 to 3 minutes, depending on their size.
- The cornmeal coating should be medium-golden and crispy.
- Serve the oysters with cocktail sauce and plenty of lemon or lime wedges.