Serves 6 to 8
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 1½ cups medium-grind cornmeal, stone-ground
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 talespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Grease a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with the oil and place it empty in a cool oven, and set the oven at 400F (200C).
- In a medium bowl, stir together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Pour in the buttermilk and eggs, and gently mix by hand until the mixture is thoroughly blended, stir in the melted butter.
- Remove the skillet from the oven, pour the batter into the skillet (the batter will sizzle), and return it to the oven.
- Bake the bread for 18 to 20 minutes, or until it begins to brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve the cornbread warm.