Makes 4 pints
- 8 pounds beets
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups cider vinegar
- 2 whole sticks cinnamon
- 6 whole allspice
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 large onions, sliced thin
- 1 lemon, sliced thin
- Wash beets, cook until just tender, about 20 minutes, and plunge into cold water and slip off skins.
- Shred beets.
- Combine sugar, water, and vinegar.
- Put spices in a piece of cheesecloth, tie them, and add to the vinegar mixture.
- Brind the mixture to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove spices.
- Fill hot jars with beets and onions, add a lemon slice to each jar and fill with the hot liquid to within ½ inch to the top of the jar.
- Release air bubbles, clean rims, seal, and process in a water bath canner for 30 minutes.