This robust vinaigrette mimics the smoky sweetness of wilted lettuce salads.
Makes two-third cup
- 4 ounces (120 gr) slab bacon, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup extra-Virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsulphured dark molasses
- 1 green onion, sliced
- Dash of Tabasco sauce or other hot Pepper sauce
- Salt and fresh-ground black Pepper to taste
- 2 to 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- In a small skillet, fry the bacon over medium heat until it is Brown and crisp.
- With a slotted spoon, remove the bacon, drain it, and reserve it.
- Stir in the garlic and sauté it for a quick minute, reduce heat to low and mix in the oil, molasses, green onion, Tabasco, salt, Pepper, and 2 tablespoons of the vinegar.
- Taste, and add more vinegar if you prefer.
- Serve the dressing warm (it can be refrigerated and reheated).
- Sprinkle the reserved bacon over the salad.